02 June 2007

So I've been somewhat silent in this blog - things have been a crazy mess in so many ways lately. In the course of a week and half I had over a thousand USD drained from my US bank account (thanks to using a local ATM...), had a boda accident, broke my computer, lost my grandfather, had 48 hours of miserable gastro/intestinal upheaval (literally), and had my project pulled out from under me.

The shit storm has seemingly passed over, but it's been hectic to say the least. Suntrust was able to kick some Stanbic ass, and recover my money, but not before canceling my debit card, leaving me in something of a difficult situation. My scrapes and bruises are healed and most of my work on my computer is managing ok. My family is coping with this great loss, exhibiting fortitude and love, like always. I'm not running to the loo every ten minutes (thank God).

Regarding the last, and most surprising/frustrating, point (work), I would like to mention this is to no fault of my own or my colleagues. The second phase of the project wasn't renewed (the donor wanted local civil-society partners to raise 60,000 US dollars in one month to match their donation, or something equally absurd and impossible) and so the budget was slashed, the work is over, and my contract was cut a month early. At first this was really gut wrenching to hear; I panicked wondering what to do with myself.

Somehow the stars realigned themselves and shed some lovely West Nile light on me and things have worked out -- In about 12 hours I'm leaving for Kampala before heading to Gulu, for a week. Gulu has become infamous over the past 20 years, because the town is a government military base for operations against the rebel Lord's Resistance Army. Up to 15,000 children, known as "night commuters", were fleeing into the town for safety every evening, until the somewhat recent peace talks. Umpteen IDP camps remain despite the peace progress, as thousands of people have no homes, land, fields, or livelihoods to which to return.

Some of these people are infected by, and nearly all are affected by, HIV/AIDS, as are most people in Africa *meaning you can't live here and not be affected*. So I'm going to lend my skills to a great organization working with aids infected and affected children in IDP camps. My task is to photo and video document the implementations and engagement of children's drama groups on a UNICEF project of TASO, The Aids Support Organization. After that I'll return to Arua for a short consulting job with Norwegian Refugee Council.

Not sure when my next point of Internet access will be. You'll just have to be patient until then.

Wish me safe travels, exuberant vigor, and great photographic light.

No comments: