14 May 2011

glitchy

When mom said, “You mean it’s not just a tropical vacation party?” I figured it time to speak of the series of minor to major glitches that accompany all the delights of living and working in Salone. That, and the fact that over the past two weeks these glitches have been arriving one after the next.
What began with a text message from the president announcing that there was not an impending fuel crisis in SL, has seen a fuel crisis overwhelm SL. Mental note: surefire way to ensure a fuel crisis is to announce that there is no forthcoming fuel crisis. Word on the streets - which, in spite of the fuel crisis have been just as crowded as ever - is that the IMF said government spending was too high, and as such, there has been a cancellation of the government’s 20% subsidy on fuel. While the hike in price is one thing, new regulations also demand that fuel be sold in liters, as opposed to gallons, complicating the cost of public transport fares, generating ridiculous, hours-long queues at all petrol stations, and inciting overall fury that trumps any road rage I've seen elsewhere.

fuel crisis
Now, speaking of traffic, can I just say that Sierra Leone has the whackest traffic situation, ever? I’ve never been in a place with the roads so narrow, potholed, devoid of order or demarcation, and full of irreverence. Given the frequency of massive traffic jams, and that I generally have a driver hauling me around, I’ve taken to working during my commute to the office, from the office, towards meetings, returning from meetings, etc.

working commute
How effective might this be? Well, you’d guess that with a laptop it’d be no big deal. Wrong. This bogus PC I’m working on is rife with unexplainable problems that have disabled any hibernation/sleep ability and thus requires a manual powering down and 10 minute long system reboot. Likewise convenient, the internet scenario here requires a dongle – aka an individual USB-drive SIM-card modem – that in addition to being incredibly slow (think .25 kb/s), is pre-paid and runs out of airtime just when you most desperately need to get online. Or, if you’re lucky like me, it straight up breaks, requiring a 45 minute commute to visit the “modem shop” “in town” during working hours. Thrice. In two weeks.

Now, if these visits were peachy, or in any other way productive or something other than demoralizing, I might not be so annoyed. However my latest adventure with Sierratel was thoroughly gear-grinding.  I was first told that my account balance was too low (only to inform the Director of Accounts that he was using the wrong account), then informed that my laptop had a virus by the Director of IT (an incorrect diagnosis according to my up to date antivirus software), then made aware that it was an operating system dilemma…because I’m running Windows XP. After 2 hours deliberating with 5 different folks working there (three of which asked for my phone number and told me they loved me…), determination still outweighed aggression and depression. I really didn’t want to have to reference my *Stateside husband, the computer engineer* while flirtily offering the Director of IT a soda, in order to be able to speak with the Director of Commercial Business, or to have to inform him of all the Sierratel accounts at the Ministry of Health, only to try and talk myself out of a 300,000 Leone ‘price tag’ (read: bribe) for a new modem. After hour four on a Friday afternoon, the offer of an ‘unofficial receipt’ and a price reduction to 200K, and being yelled at for my disrespectful indignance, I settled for settling and took the new, p.o.s. modem if for no other reason than needing to shake the urge to kill everyone in that office and myself.

Needing solace after such haranguing one might opt for a hot shower, or cool drink, or to relax in front of the tube. No dice this round, buddy. All the holiday festivities found the ‘water guys’ off duty for a week, which translated to us running out of running water. A bright side of this was that the water guys didn’t wake me up with their giant truck during their 3AM water-tank refilling process. No real difference to make lately, however, as the local power source has been defunct and we’ve had no electricity, and therefore no AC or fans, and thus a 90 degree house with 95% humidity. As such, sound sleep has been a luxury that I’m not properly partaking in.

Beyond these recent delights, I managed to break our washing machine by pushing the button you push to run the machine. Yes, you read that right. And so, naturally, on the day that I managed to find an electrician/mechanic to come repair the bunk machine so that I wouldn’t have to hand wash my clothes again (which, btw, with 95% humidity and no spin-cycle never really dry, leaving you with a refreshing scent-ual infusion of mildew), it would wind up that our generator battery bottomed out and we realize that the fuel source on the compound had been mysteriously depreciating.

This is all to say that I am very much aware of the fact that *This Is Africa,* particularly as any complaint or relaying of these realities results in someone informing me of my current location. Knowing that these are very much white woman problems really does nothing to alleviate their associated dilemmas. Nor do warnings that the rainy season is coming soon and that these calamities are likely to exponentially increase. Aside from maintaining a well stocked bar (plus or minus ice), my only solution has been massive vitamin-D intake and sea side playtime. And so, on a bright end note, I’ll bring it back full circle with some of the (well justified?!) tropical vacay party pics from the past few weeks.

rugby rugrats gareth, tebu, andygang of fourreflecto roadside


ladiesFC Barca on low tidebeach buddies
low tides facing inlandbarca boating babe
me n val
footie on #2
white sands of River #2 beach
and what?


Stepping away to the white sands of River #2 (read more about this great chunk of paradise)

No comments: