17 April 2007

backlog, March 30 - April 1: Mbale, Sipi

Following my business trip to Kabarole I was able to petition for some holiday/personal leave time. I worked for two days in Kampala at headquarters before heading east, to the Ugandan/Kenyan border city of Mbale, with my dear buddy, Martin, who happened to have the same, conveniently scheduled, time off.

A four-hour adventure on the “Elgon Flyer” bus, on which they played, at painstakingly loud levels, the hit Keauu Reeves/Sandra Bullock flick SPEED (and yes, we were on a bus…oh the ironing is delicious), we arrived to Mbale. My friends Noah and Mark linked me with an American girl called Beth, who is doing an American World Jewish Service fellowship. Her friend Lydia happened to be sitting next to me on the aforementioned bus and helped get me settled into the Mt. Elgon View Hotel, who only had the “Executive Suite” available for me. Awesome.

So, within 15 minutes of meeting Beth ridiculousness of world-shrinking set in. She was telling me about her time studying in Thailand and I was telling her about my ex-boyfriend who studied there too. We’re talking, talking, about Buddhism and development and Thai prostitutes, and low and behold, she knows Mike. JEWISH GEOGRAPHY PREVAILS YET AGAIN.

After some good Indian food I retired, feeling serendipitously confused about the shrinking universe, and wondering what the hell I am doing in Uganda meeting people who know people so close to me…

Beth:
beth

Lydia:
lydia

Martin in my awesome suite:
the executive suite at the mt. elgon view hotel, mbale, uganda.

Martin and I left Mbale and headed to the town of Sipi, on the slopes of Mt. Elgon (Africa’s fourth highest peak!) for some nice R and R with splendid views.

The hotel was great – a simple cabin, clean latrines, hot/solar showers, good food (had to place orders in advance, as in the day before), and of course, a very friendly Ugandan staff who aimed to please.

The view from our front porch: our view for the entire weekend - paradise!

Chillaxin at The Crow’s Nest:
cabin

martin actin' fresh

what what

martin

Our little respite from civilization (kinda):
crows nest

One day we actually tried to leave to hotel and make it into town. One matutu passed us, filled to the gills, and we opted to hold tight and wait it out. About twenty minutes later we opted to start walking to the town, about 11 Km from the hotel. We made it a few minutes down before spotting an encouraging dirt road, and some relaxed guards, the provoked us just enough to investigate…we shortly arrived at a lush lodge, with spectacular views of the falls (with cold beer to boot!):

Looking across the gorge to beautiful Sipi Waterfalls:
the beautiful falls....
falls
sweet hotel

Where I wanted to sleep:
money spot

danger.

We even saw blood lilies, my favorite:
my favorite flower!

Aren’t these the coolest you’ve ever seen?!:
my favorites again


One of the things I love seeing in Uganda is men, or boys holding hands. I think it shares droves about the straightforward friendliness of people here. It is also something I find entertaining in light of the fact that homosexuality is prohibited. As a relatively liberal American I have tried to defend the tenants of equality, shared justice, and our acceptance (or at least my acceptance) of individuality and sexual freedom, but even men who have been holding hands since birth can’t seem to comprehend how two people of the same sex can be more than friends…

my favorite thing about uganda...

More cuties met along the journey, that ended far before we ever reached town:

sipi boys

A full, beautiful, clear, moon in Sipi:
full moon in Sipi

And finally, some breath-stealing views from the top of the ‘nest:
on the road
dsc1091.jpg
martin and the expanse
overlooking sipi

No comments: