03 July 2008

backlog: national museum

Red Yellow Sprawl
Addis Adventure
driver view mirror

Before the rest of the office arrived to Addis, Bret and I found ourselves with some free time to dally around town. The hotel called a cute taxi for us – they look almost identical to my mom’s first car, a BMW 2002 – and we adventured in and were convinced to visit the museum, something neither of us were particularly excited to do. I’m really pleased that our driver Abie encouraged this as I found so much of the collection really incredible. On the first level were royal relics – robes and dresses of former Emperors – as well as ancient finds – pendants, seals, carvings – ranging from BC through the 11th century.

I didn’t realize that Ethiopia is home to so many pieces of history, nor as rich in artistic tradition. Not much time to espouse on my enjoyment of these treasures, but I was sincerely impressed.

Enjoy the snaps.

skullduggery
painted stone bible
Menelik's Rastawear with Lion hair
Ethiopia's Klimt
Haile Selassie's royal throne

No comments: