12 March 2007

friends and foes

I think we all share something that brings us together. And what brings us together makes us more alike than different. This is true both within the ex-patriot community and with all of humanity of course, but specifically in reference to the friendships I’ve been developing with other people “in the field”. To the point: we’re here because we share a desire to create positive change, to be the force behind action at our doorstep, across the world from home. My new good friend Martin isn’t really across the world from home, as Malawi is merely a few thousand kilometers from Uganda, but I’ve been making great mates with Brits, Danes, Frenchies, Nigerians, Dutch folk, and a few Americans. I wont pretend however that there aren’t plenty (if not more) Ugandan nationals actively involved in research, development, and aid work; in fact, I’m the only non-national at our office, which has its perks and pitfalls.

The point is, however, that making friends with ex-pats has tremendous rewards on my sanity. Both the simple things, like eating Mexican food that we make ourselves with maize meal and some more sophisticated measures that my national friends aren’t so savvy toward, like trading pirated media.

That said I watched Last King of Scotland. Haunting and horrifying, the film painted a controversial picture of Amin. Amin has touched most people here in one-way or another – after all, West Nile is where he is “from” (some accounts say he was actually born in Congo, but either way, one of his sons lives down the street from my office and is a member of the local government!). I’ve heard that the film was very accurate in portraying his madness, but I’ve also been told that he was far crazier. While I know far too little about his reign of terror to make accurate commentary, what I find most interesting are the many people here who defend him, whether it be minor mention that he did a lot of good for the country (NOTE: Kampala looks exactly the same in 2007 as depicted in the movie from the 1970s, meaning that the current administration as done little in terms of physical development work) or that he “wasn’t so bad.” I now have two friends whose parents were in the government at the time and have both been active in noting that their respective parents still admire Amin’s work. My sentiments have not been swayed.

Whitaker’s performance and the movie as a whole were totally on-point in showing the Ugandan national spirit, countryside, and cityscape. The accent, mannerisms, colors, and dress were quite accurately portrayed and very cool to see on the screen. Thanks Hollywood for putting Uganda on the map for the general public!

No comments: