01 March 2007

backlog, feb 21

Wednesday Feb 21:

She go say I be lady yo
African woman go dance, She go dance the fire dance


I find myself judging other ex-pats ex-pats heavily. Be it that they are more jaded or more experienced, or less interesting, or whatever, it’s easy to cross compare experiences and experience.

Not that I’m the only one being judgmental. I felt very judged today as I walked through the market type stalls of the clothing district. For such shitty clothes they wanted so much money! It’s crazy. Being a muzungu isn’t all good – it’s hard to get people to NOT pay attention to you. Every corner someone is shouting something my way. On one hand I’ve never felt so popular, but on the other, its totally unnerving, especially in a crowded street market with tons of people moving in all directions, on every side of your body.

I am learning that within Uganda some things can be predicted – like meetings, individuals, and flights being consistently late; problems working themselves out (at some levels); power outages when you least need them. More exciting though are the many unexpected happenings: like journals from ‘foetuses' within the main news source [scroll down], earthquakes, and jesus sightings.

No comments: